Friday, May 11, 2012

Moving Day


It’s a rainy and chilly day here in Aberdeen, made colder by the fact that the landlord of our temporary apartment turns the heat off from 10 AM to 5 PM. Burr. I took the dogs for an early morning jog and now I’m catching up on my reading and writing while they are catching up on their naps.
I’d love to join them, but I’m afraid Jet Lag would severely punish me for that decision. Still, the indoor temperature being in the 60s makes it awfully tempting to crawl under the covers with a good book.
I’m reading a particularly awesome novel right now called The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. It falls into the awesome category for three main reasons. 1) It’s a historical novel. 2) It’s a historical novel set in Scotland, and 3) one of the main characters has an energetic spotted spaniel who in my imagination, looks a bit like somebody else I know.
If they ever make the book into a movie, I’ll have to get in touch with the casting director and see if we can make Bailey a star.
While I’d love to laze the day away with my not-so-energetic-after-their-run spaniels, today is moving day. We’ll get the keys to the house this afternoon once the rental furniture has been set up for us. It’s a bit anti-climactic as far as moving days go since all we’re doing is transporting our suitcases from one house to another, but at least we’ll be living out of suitcases in the same house for the next 2 months. I’ll be sure to post more pictures of our new abode once we get over there.
We won’t have our internet set up until May 24 so I may be touch and go for a few days, but we’re currently looking into solutions for that. Jonathan knows that I can’t be cut off from my life source for 2 whole weeks so we are considering purchasing a “dongle” which you plug into your PC through the USB port and it provides pay-as-you-go wifi service for a monthly fee. It sounds like a good solution and plus, I’m really looking forward to incorporating the word ‘dongle’ into my everyday vocabulary. 
Today is an extra important day for us because it’s also the day we plan on buying a car. There is nothing on the market right now that feels perfectly right to us, but since now is the time we need one, I guess we’ll just suck it up and make a decision. Our three best choices at this time are a BMX X1 SUV, a Toyota Rav-4, or a Land Rover- Freelander.
Jon’s a “car guy” so I’ll probably let him have the final word on what we choose (and then remind him of that fact relentlessly when he decides to have an opinion for what to name our future children. I'm nothing if not a strategist.) Like the house, I’ll be sure to post pictures of our new car just as soon as I have my dongleJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment